Copenhagen, Denmark

Copenhagen, Denmark Mission

Monday, October 17, 2016

Week 9 - A trip to Nyhvn


Monday
We went to Copenhagen despite the rain, and it was so much fun! The city center where we walked around was so cute! Just like in a movie. We walked to Nyhavn, which is the harbor with all the colorful buildings. It was so cute, but of course looked a lot different from the pictures.

Having fun on our P-day


A bridge of "locks" just like in Paris

We got chocolate covered churros, and walked around and took pictures.  I bought a warm sweater at H & M and that has been my favorite this this whole week because it’s been so cold. 


Tuesday


We had dinner with a family in the ward and it was awesome. Traditional Danish food, (which is pretty American, potatoes, pork and salad) and I loved it! They are exactly what I thought a Danish family to be. Blonde mom and dad, 3 blond little boys, cute modern yet Danish looking home, and they spoke super-fast Danish. It was awesome!
Wednesday


 It was SO COLD. We had a few lessons scheduled today, and everything got cancelled ;( so we decided it was a pastry kind of day. So we bought a HUGE Chocolate triangle. Pronounced (shock oh lel tri cant) it was so big. A giant croissant with some yummy mystery filling covered with chocolate and almonds.

Me and my Comp spilt it and ate the whole thing right then and there. Then, we went to go have a Baptismal interview with Peifang, because she was supposed to get baptized Saturday, and she told us she had to cancel it, because she is having a hard time accepting some of the commandments. So that was a really bummer to our day ;( 

Thursday
Another freezing day, we had a lot of stuff canceled, but we had one good lesson with a super cute girl from Thailand we met on the street! Everywhere we see cutes homes, everything is so cozy with candles, and I just want to stay indoors all day, ha-ha but of course I can’t because I need to go find people to teach!
Street dogs!
Friday
I was super excited because we had a lot of appointments, but again, nothing new, most of them got cancelled. One lesson we did teach that day, we had a member come named Gismo. She knows Elder Canny who served in Wickenburg about 18 months ago! She was going to see him the next day too, and so we took a picture to show him. So cool! That would be really fun if he ever came here, and I got to see him! Our church building is the stake center for all of Sjælland too, so if they ever have big events here maybe we'll see each other! Gismo also bought me and Sister McDonald cookies and hot cocoa too because we've had a hard week. She is so nice!


Saturday
We went to the mission president’s house for Mexican food with our district! That was fun to have a break, and see everyone.  Also, some guy we contacted a few weeks back, called us and tried to ask us out on a lunch date!  Man you've got to be careful as a  missionary. Sometimes I think people get feeling the spirit, and other feelings mixed up...

Sunday
We had dinner at the Bishop’s house, and that was really nice too. Every time we are with members they give us such good advice to motivate us and keep us going. Especially Bishop. He told us that we need to picture who we want to be in 30 years. What kind of life we want to live, and then set goals now to accomplish that. Decided NOW who we want to become, and then focus on becoming it. 

I felt like the past two weeks have really been focused on BECOMING, and how we need to focus on becoming like Christ. If we have any purpose in this life, it’s to become like Him! And that's where the gospel comes in, and we have baptism and repentance to help us do that, and constantly become better. 

Some funny thoughts I’ve had this week, the wind, is Satan. Because even when I’m riding my bike down a steep hill, I still have to pedal hard because the wind is blowing me in the opposite direction ALWAYS!!!!!!! It’s awful.

But really I feel like there are so many small ways I can feel the adversary picking on me as a missionary. Stupid things like the wind, and the cold, and lessons getting cancelled and our plans never working out. But, I also have noticed so many ways the Lord is blessing me as a missionary. From warm cozy houses for dinner appointments to getting REALLY good advice from lots of different members, to all the little blessings here and there like pastry or free food, the Lord really watches out for His missionaries!

Yesterday as we were walking down the street and it was probably 45 degrees and windy, AN ICE CREAM TRUCK drove past us and was playing its ice cream song.... I was so confused.  Too cold for that!
Too cold to eat ice cream!
That was my week.... some bad things, and it was hard, but a lot of blessings too.  I’ve heard this October is colder than normal! But then again September when I got here was warmer than normal. This week we have our 30 day meeting and I’m super excited! I’m really excited to go to the temple. And take a hot shower that’s longer than 4 minutes! 

It’s starting to get really dark here, and the skies are always a grey color. I can hear crows in the background and I feel like I’m in an old scary movie in the 1800's.  I’m getting really good at cooking because that’s my only choice if I want to eat something other than a sandwich.  If anyone would like to send me some simple recipes that would be awesome!  Easy stuff I can throw in a pan and bake. 

Christmas is coming! I’m excited. I’ll probably be in this area until after my birthday,  that’s my guess.
Sister MacDonald and I all bundled up and ready to work!
One more funny thing, one time before we left Peifang's house after an app, I was so cold I used the bathroom and then just ran my wrists under hot water for like 5 min to try and warm my body up... The struggle! ha-ha

Have a good week, I think about you guys every day! My journal is almost full, so I’ll buy a new one soon! I also haven’t worn my jeans once since I’ve been here. You have to wear church clothes even on p-day.
Ok I love you! Bye!
Soster Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment